The Heart Pocket Word for the day is Awesome

Monday, August 9, 2010

Heart Pocket Word for the Day is Enough!

The word from my heart pocket is Enough.

Human beings love to acquire, accumulate, gather. We collect friends and dishes and tools. We acquire homes and second homes and furniture. We accumulate vacation experiences and gear and the latest technology.

I have to say it. I'm for accumulation. I think it happens from the moment we're born. At first, other people do it for us and we get used to the energy of things and it feels comfortable to be surrounded by people and stuff and experiences. I've done my share of gathering and I have completely enjoyed the exercise. Spying the exact right piece of art, the coverlet with the right colors, the vacation spot with all of the elements for my family, people with whom I love to laugh and create. I've bought books and art supplies and curtains and stuffed animals. I've searched for baseball cards and jewelry and unique places to hike and camp. God and all of my neighbors know I've dabbled in real estate.

Is this a good place to mention yard sales?

The heart pocket word for today is Enough. The question is:  What is enough?

It's enough when we say it is. No one knows but us when we have enough things, have been enough places, have sung enough songs. It's that simple. We live on this earth and we each have our own experience and when we've had enough of something, we naturally stop it or we pay the price.

If I want to eat and eat and eat, I get the pleasure of taste and the comfort I feel while eating. I know I might gain weight. I know I might grow out of my clothes, I know I might be risking my health in some ways. Ah, but what if I exercise? Exercise is the balance that keeps me from gaining weight, having to buy new sizes, acquiring disease. Exercise miraculously alters one's taste buds. When I exercise, I still want to eat, but my body craves less refined sugar and a better source of carbohydrates. Now when I eat, the pleasure I get from food is heightened because I am eating for the pleasure of taste and I can literally feel the food nourishing my body. I find a balance and it is enough.

I might love to shop. I spend and spend and spend and fill my home with things I love. There is great joy in surrounding myself with beautiful things. I take them home and I put them in strategic places. If I keep buying new things and don't get rid of the old things that once appealed to me, the beauty gets lost amid the clutter. Ah, but what if I discard something when I buy new things? Purging is the balance that keeps me from cluttering my living space, my mind, my peaceful spirit. Purging makes room for the new and when I clear the clutter (no matter where it lives), I appreciate the open space around me. I can see the beauty of my special objets d'art. Creativity bounces in its spacious surroundings. The confusion of clutter is gone and my nervous system relaxes. Now I enjoy my life more because the stress of clutter has been replaced with breathing room. I find a balance and it is enough.

Enough is plenty. Enough is abundant, ample, satisfactory, complete. When it is allowed to flow, enough goes to work for us, is unlimited, lavishes us with exactly what we want. When we clear out the excess in our lives to make room for enough, life becomes simply divine.

Play with enough today. Look inside boxes and drawers, your heart pockets and your routine. Clear out the clutter of things, emotions and agendas and gather some things anew. Enough is a playful past time and a wonderful game.

I've written Enough. Your turn ...  

No comments:

Post a Comment