The Heart Pocket Word for the day is Awesome

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Heart Pocket Word for the Day is Appreciate!


The word from my heart pocket is Appreciate.

I'm playing a new game. When I see a piece of artwork I'm attracted to, I spend time with it and name the reasons I love it. That's the easy part. The hard part comes when I see a piece of artwork I don't like and spend time with it (that's hard enough) and name the reasons I don't love it. I find that the more time I spend with either type, I seem to come to a sort of middle ground - learning to find appreciation in all of it. 

To appreciate something - or someone - is to get to know it, and as we do, something magical happens. It increases in worth which is another meaning of the word, appreciate

When we are frustrated and can't seem to find a solution, here is a thought: Stop everything and spend time with your problem, your challenge, the person, the situation. Really examine it. Look at it closely and be as openhearted and open-minded as possible. If you can, remove any judgment. Definitely look beyond the surface. 

Appreciation comes from an unusual source that is unique to each situation. To experience it, we have to allow it to happen. It is possible to appreciate every moment and that takes a really practiced person but it is possible and it 100% changes how a human being experiences life.

Judgment is a giant wall that stands in the way of appreciation, and ultimately, beauty. Appreciation forgoes judging, releases it to kindness which leads a person to compassion. I have experienced the biggest deepest hole of pain and literally been lifted up and out of that hole by words of genuine appreciation. The person had no idea it was happening. The person never will. 

We have that much power and all it takes is stopping to look and see what is actually before us. 

Start where you are. Look around you. Appreciate what you see. Acknowledge it. Look for its beauty. From there, move into the world. As you go about today, do so in appreciation. Feel how good life is. Soon, you'll start seeing the beauty of it all, and it will cause you to want to take better care. 

Appreciation changes how you see. Appreciation increases the value of living.  

No comments:

Post a Comment