The Heart Pocket Word for the day is Awesome

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Vanishing Point




The vanishing point. It's different for each of us. Some of us are fused by formal education; others need a day in the woods. For any creative, a trip to an art museum or to a favorite shop fuels the fire inside with either the inspiration of aspiration or the realization of one's own ability. In both cases there is the urge to go home and create!

But when does this enthusiasm diminish? How does that happen? How do we keep the heart fires burning? How do we avoid the decline in the first place? 

Again, I suppose it is different for each of us. For me it is when I have too much input. It is true in every creative piece of my life. I reach out for support and for my muses. I look for inspiration when I am a blank canvas. But there is a vanishing point of vitality, energy and enthusiasm that happens when there is more information than imagination, too much stillness and not enough experimenting. I need to exercise my chops on the back side of meditation. That heightened energetic dervish slathers paint onto the canvas, pours words onto the page, hears the music of the rivers and streams accompanying my own footsteps as I fly home to play it out on the piano.

The vanishing point is a clue for me, a sign that I am too much of something and I need a jolt. My mind is cluttered with words or processes or advice. I have reflected long enough and the stillness has become a stupor. I know it is time to move.

I do not know the mechanics of this process. I feel it is about connection, electrical and energetic. It is felt and manifests in a moment. It can be a surprise or it can come in the middle of a diligent effort. It is rich and deep and broad ... and the source of life.


What do you think? Creative urges come when we garden, cook, work a problem; when we read or see a film; when we see our children/grandchildren explore the world through new eyes. When does creativity happen for you? When does the vanishing point appear? Please comment below! 

photograph by kittie beletic; dollie created by sally cobaugh

7 comments:

  1. My creativity seems to blossom when I am completely overwhelmed by necessary tasks. It is as if all the MUST DOs push the creativity out to make space for the mundane.
    Suddenly the emerging creativity needs to wire buttons into a necklace, glue gizmos into a new shape, applique a collage of colors onto an old garment.
    Rearranging thing by color seems to be soothing. Or is that obsessive compulsive disorder?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just finished reading Catching the Big Fish by filmmaker David Lynch which was a perfect inspiration on creativity for me right now. Happily have not vanished, but trying again to find that time to go be creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Motion causes creativity for me. Whether it is in a car, airplane or simply rocking in a chair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Creativity happens at all times of the day and night and in many different places - hence the tiny scrapes of paper filling my purse, my car, my nightstand, etc... Never know when inspiration may strike - so I'm always jotting down ideas. The trick is to then put them in a place I remember to look at them and create! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me, creativity occurs when my mind is free of distractions. Walking the dog at night is a great time to think and be creative. There's always the temptation to turn on the i-Pod, turn off my brain, and let myself be entertained, but nothing creative happens when I'm in that passive mode. It's better when I have no entertainment and have to actively work to entertain myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Creativity begins with you. Just sit still and look around you. Observe your surrounding world. Listen to the sounds. Smell the roses. And let your senses come alive! Unfortunately, we are surrounded by harsh sights and sounds which interfere with our senses. So cut off the T.V. and your cell phone. Turn off the computer. One way to come alive in your writing is to close your eyes. And take in the sounds and scents, then begin writing. Just write. Do not think about what you will write. Just let the thoughts pour out.

    As a professional writer and author, I realize the importance of connecting with my inner self. Each day, spend time with yourself. It may be while you are driving. (Pick a more scenic route -- one that takes you down a residential street where flowers are blooming in front of beautiful homes.) Or pet your dog. It's amazing how touching your pet will slow you down and open your heart. Also believe in your own creativity. Everyone has it. Sometimes it is buried deep within, but it is always there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. More often than not, when my head hits the pillow around 11 P.M., that's when the poems are born. A subject matter reveals itself and will not let me alone until I get up and write about it! That's how I know a poem is knocking
    and waiting to be born! I get up and write whatever comes as I type on the computer. No judging...just let it fly! I can go back later
    on a rewrite and make sense of it, or polish the crystal. Sometimes I keep it for a few days, weeks, or months, then go back and work on it some more. Invariably, there are newer,
    better words to be written in and some to be
    thrown out. I send out poems to literary magazines, some small publishers, and contests.
    I've won about $100 over the years, publication
    in several magazines and won a few contests online or in publications. Dr. Frederick Turner, Prof. at UTD and author of 20+ books on
    poetry, etc. said: "Read poetry out loud and your brain will develop the synapses to write poems." Trust me too, it works! Happy Writing! Art is the sacred word in heART...
    And art is in the heart of everything! Janice Rose; www.janicerosepoetry.com

    ReplyDelete